Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wow... this is awkward...

Okay, so I was gone for a long time and I could pretend I had a really good reason and tell you it'll never happen again but I didn't and it will.

Umm... still friends?

Wanna pretend like it never happened?

Me too.

So, I hate chain letters.

I hate them like fat-free cheese and Splenda.

A friend of mine (or so I thought) tried to give me one last week. Like, a real piece of paper in an envelope.

When she handed it to me, she was smiling but quickly said, "I'm sorry!"

I looked at it, looked at her and then said rather accusingly, "This is a chain letter."

"No, it's not! You just have to send this letter to six other people and mail a lottery ticket to the address provided!" (I can't make this shit up.)

I can't think of any six people I hate nearly enough to whom I would do that.

I said, "Whose address is this?"

"My grandma's."

"Look dude, I don't want to do this. I hate this shit."

"But then my grandma won't get her lottery ticket!"

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Then, I had an epiphany. "Okay, what if I just send your grandma the lottery ticket and give you back the letter? That way, she gets her ticket and I'm not annoyed. Everybody wins!"

She didn't like that.

In the end, my friend was not happy with me because I refused to be annoyed or alienate six people who could potentially give me a kidney someday.

I mean, why burn bridges, right?

This all boils down to the power of saying NO!

I am friends with many people who do not know how to do this. Culturally speaking, the region where I live hosts a polite, acquiescing people. They are hard-wired agree to anything, whereas I was taught that it's okay to refuse.

And now... I feel stronger, more powerful!

I feel like a two-year old in a grocery store who has just discovered she can refuse when her mom tells her to put the candy down.

NO!

I'm totally drunk with power.

Does anyone else have trouble saying no? Or perhaps relishes it a little too much?

10 comments:

Sassy Pants Freckle Face said...

Way still friends!!!
Chain letters suck, sry but we are adults here,. I mean did she ask you to pick a number in her cootie catcher made outta paper???

Cause I am sure that is what followed,,...

I want to be meaner but, I lack human qualites and sometimes I feel a wee too much,...NO is one of my favorite words,.. It needs more use, I Say NO! Can you dig it?

Still friends
even though ur a nil giver ;)

AiringMyLaundry said...

I also hate chain letters.

I just toss mine out.

But yes, I have issues saying no. I'm getting better at it though. I think I'm getting crankier with age.

Andrea said...

Good for you! Power to the peeps who say no!!! A chain letter. Amazing.

I love your blog title, and that picture makes me happy, as grilled cheese is quite possibly my all-time-fave food EVER! Yum.

Liz Mays said...

Yes, I mean no. Always say no to the chain letter. I freakin' hate those things too!!!

Katherine said...

Just so you know, I'm totally taking full credit for your bloggy return since I left a comment just last week asking if you were still alive!

Soooo your welcome blogosphere!

Mrs. B said...

yes. still friends.

and i am one of those who has the hardest time saying no. sigh. BUT, i think i could muster one up if there's a chain letter involved. those things suck, man.

Sassy Pants Freckle Face said...

I TAGGED YOUR LAZY NOT BLOGGIN" ARSE! Put a lil' spring in your step and hop on over <3

Yankee Girl said...

You're back and I'm totally late to the party.

I used to be a yes person through and through and then I learned to say no. I have found that there are many people who can't handle that, but I am so much happier. No really is a powerful word!

Yankee Girl said...

Totally off subject, but I was thinking of you because I started a small kitchen fire when I burned a grilled cheese sandwich this weekend!

Sarah said...

Hey GC! I have missed you too! And good for you for saying no. Chain letters are bunk.

The last time I got one I just totally ignored it. And guess what? No sodomy or death threats. win/win.

So I think no was nicer than completely ignoring someone. But, I'm kind of a bitch, so I really could not care less.