Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Just one more reason to never leave the house

Can I be unpleasant for a hot second?

I hope so, because I'm gonna.

I have recently discovered a pattern in my life. It is a pattern, I might add, that is making me want to punt small farm animals.*

A couple of particular types of men are attracted to me... apparently.

I have experienced this several times within the last few months and even more over the course of my adult life. And I'm becoming less and less tolerant of it.

For the most part, I am a fairly confident, self-assured woman. While I will occasionally look for validation outside of myself (usually just to make sure I'm not going nuts), I have a solid sense of self.

Unfortunately, I think it's this quality that gets me into trouble.

This brings us to the first type:

1) Those who want to "figure me out."

I would hardly refer to myself as mysterious (there's no way I'm cool enough to own that word), but I'm not the kind of person who wears her heart on her sleeve and confesses all within the first five minutes of conversation. Therefore, I tend to keep more personal things close until I feel someone is trustworthy and I have no trouble telling someone if I feel it's none of their business.

I also tend to be a little quirky in what I say and do, and I have no shame when it comes to these idiosyncrasies. If I decide I want a taco for dessert, I'm going to get me a taco!

Apparently, when you put these two together, I'm very intriguing to a certain kind of man.

That brings us to the second type:

2) Those who are broken and want me to fix them

I can think of four men off the top of my head who recently tried to date me while they were a) having marital problems, b) going through a break-up and c) recently divorced and still bitter.

Not only do I not date men who are married or involved with someone else, but I do NOT like projects. Just like I don't want to be fixed, I sure as hell don't want to fix anyone else.

This seems like such a petty thing to bemoan (SAT vocab word!) but I feel like I've been caught in a total onslaught amidst an otherwise very dry spell.

Is it so much to ask for a man who is single, more or less has his shit together and will just go with my oddities without trying to create a spreadsheet around them?


What kind of people do you attract?


*No small farm animals were harmed during the writing of this blog post.

3 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Well, I'm new to the field of single, and before I could even get out on the playing field, I fell for someone. He's completely normal and perfect and I feel like it's a dream. I'm pretty sure I'm not the average case though.

I sure hope you get better material to work with here, cuz yeah, I wouldn't do those projects either.

Sassy Pants Freckle Face said...

I am like you many wanted to figure me out, infact i had been proposed to like seriously and loosely like 5 times before I met my husband, And I proposed to him,.. not frecking joke!

And Ms Grilled to da cheese, ur ass needs to get on here more often becuase you are one of the few I look forward to reading, sista from another mister I am tellin you!

Anyway, when I was pg, I think the men that hit on preggers should be wacked with a baseball bat,.. ugh,..

and I only have eyes for my guys, and swnarl at anyone who looks my way,.. now if I am attractive it;s cause I am a mega bitch, just sayin',...

cheers!

Lisa said...

Yup, I've attracted both of these types. Just the other some random guy said to me, "I'm still trying to figure you out," and I was like...really? What about me is so confusing?

Whatever.