Monday, February 15, 2010

VD- Valentine's Day or Venereal Disease?

My Valentine's Day weekend sucked rabid camel bits.

I've never had one quite this foul, and I think it's because I don't have any single, female friends.

All of my girlfriends here are in serious, long-term relationships. And while they don't necessarily shove it in my face (all the time), they were also unavailable the whole weekend.

So, because the weather blows monkey chunks and my friends are all out of town, cavorting with their significant others, I pretty much got to stay at home all weekend and sulk like a giant wiener.




I think it really took me by surprise because I was feeling so positive and optimistic about the whole thing. I mean, I don't mind if other people celebrate it. I really don't. I was just going to do something else... except, then I couldn't. Or didn't.

I'm only confessing this because I think I often present with an assertive "fuck you" attitude toward things like this as though it doesn't affect me, but it gets to me too, sometimes.

Moping can be expensive, though. I mean, in order to feel better, I had to buy myself dinner a couple times and, of course, some jewelry.

Good thing I'm a cheap date.

11 comments:

Charlotte said...

I know exactly what you mean as most of my girlfriends are also in relationships. It makes it hard, especially for the most commercial of all holidays, Valentine's Day. I'm just not a fan (whether in a relationship, or not... and this is my first time single for it in six years). I feel so bah humbug about it, but what can you do? It's just one day and it's now officially over :)

Yankee Girl said...

Sorry your day wasn't awesome. Too bad we aren't neighbors because I was alone too. I drank 1-1/2 bottles of wine all by myself and went to bed early because I was a little drunk.

Shell said...

LOL @ a cheap date.

Sorry your weekend sucked. :(

Tracie said...

Don't feel bad. I'm married and I shopped online to drown my sorrows. Valentine's Day sucks for most of us.

Katherine said...

Umm if there were dinners out and jewelry then it was worth it! You probably had a much more satisfying v-day them lots of ladies in relationships!

freckletree said...

i didn't get dinner. i didn't get jewelry. i didn't even get to be alone.

i got a husband that bitched and moaned. and i'm pretty sure that he didn't even know that it was vday. and, i guess i forgot to tell him.

just wait until your friends have kids. then you can laugh at them while you are sitting alone and eating. they'll never get to do that again.

love your humor, btw.

Sassy Pants Freckle Face said...

I likie da post, Still hate the day ;)

Lisa said...

I am soooo sorry and I wish you coulda been where I was this weekend because we would've had fun! I think last week's 30 Rock episode pretty much said it all, didn't it?

Liz Mays said...

Dang, dang, dang!!! I wish we lived closer. We could have totally hung out!

Together We Save said...

I have a man and you know what I got? Nothing? You know what we did? Nothing. 3 Kids. No remance. I would have loved to hang out with friends.

Sarah said...

VD sucks. Both strands.

I'm glad you bought yourself some stuff. And dinner.