Wednesday, February 24, 2010

These feet were made for walking... to restaurants

I went ice skating last week.

I think I was inspired by the Olympics and the fact that I live in a rather Winter-friendly town. So, I figured I should get my ass out into nature and get a little exercise at the same time.

Um, ice skating sucks. Did anyone else know that?

First of all, the shoes are ugly. I know the point of skating is not to be fashionable (just tell that to the male Olympic figures skaters) but all the skates were the color of bean curd.

Also, those things are not comfortable at all. I tightened them as much as I could but my arches were screaming.

On another note, did you know that there are three main groups attracted to ice skating? Allow me to drop a knowledge bomb on you.
  • Children ages 5-9
  • Young couples
  • Teenagers
The little kids bother me the least, but I am terrified of skating over their tiny little fingers when they fall down and just lay there for half an hour.

The couples are dangerous. Because they all hold hands and refuse to let go, you're much more apt to get clothes-lined by love.

The teenagers are the worst. I mean, I hate this demographic to begin with but put them in a small, confined area and on a slippery surface and you're asking for disaster. All they do is push each other down, run into the wall and face plant right in front of you to show their friends how cool they are.

I didn't last long.

I went with a friend and her boyfriend. We left after 20 min.

But then we went to lunch and ate fried food. So, that part of ice skating was great!

Perhaps I'm the only one that feels this way about ice skating. Is there any other activity or popular outing everyone seems to enjoy but you hate?

Tell me what you loathe. I promise to validate you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not been ice skating since I was a kid a fell through the ice. True story. Let me explain.

I lived in Korea when I was younger and someone told us one of the best experiences in winter was to ice skate on the flooded and frozen rice paddies. Sounds surreal and serene. So, me and my friend gathered our skates, took three buses and finally got to the place we had heard about. Skating was going great until....crack....the middle had not frozen all the way through and there I was knee deep in freezing icy water and mud!!!

Sassy Pants Freckle Face said...

gosh,...ice skating would be one of many, along with sking,.. umm oh yeah a my muda readin' da blog,....


btw I brought up the counting pee thing while the fam and i were traveling,.. and yes we both have done it,.. thanks for the laugh

Sarah Beth said...

I do like the idea of ice skating, but you're right - it's not usually all that it's cracked up to be. Fried food, however, is ALWAYS all it's cracked up to be.

I hate skiing. I mean, I want to love it - it's so pretty and I like lodges and hot chocolate. But, I do not like anything where I'm not in control and/or likely to careen off the side of a mountain at any moment. I can drink hot chocolate in my own home just fine.

Yankee Girl said...

I was going to post a threatening comment on your blog today because it feels like it has been years since you posted last. I know it has only been a few days, but I am an addict and needed a fix. Thanks for posting so I didn't have to look like an ass for yelling at you.

Anycrazy,

I haven't been ice skating in years and every winter I plan on going but then never do. Oh well, it seems I am not missing much. I used to have a very small pond that I would skate on behind my parents house, but it was drained and dug out in order to build houses. Stupid development.

Sarah said...

Gah! I too hate teenagers and rue RUE the day when my kids morph into them. Also? fried food is the best part of ANYTHING. I missed you, GC! Bean curd? Never.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Tracie said...

I'm not athletic. At all. So you can put me down for swimming, biking, skiing, and ice skating.

Mrs. B said...

fried food is the best part of any activity. and teenagers are the worst part.